Dal makhani is a delicacy from the state of Punjab in
India.Dollops of fresh cream and butter are trademark of daal makhani. It is garnished with finely chopped coriander leaves and fresh cream. It is a sumptuous meal and a staple diet in Punjab.
Medium sized onions: 4 (finely chopped)
Medium sized tomatoes: 4 (made into a puree)
Ginger-Garlic-Green chillies Paste: 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder:1/2 tsp
Cinnamon : 2 sticks
Black cardamom: 1
Red chilli powder: 2 tsp
Dhania Powder: 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder: 1 tbsp
Roasted cumin seed powder: 2 tsp
Fresh cream/ malai: 10 tsp
Pudina Leaves/Mint: to garnish
Sufficient water to boil the dal
Ghee: 6 tbsp
Curd: 4 tbsp
Butter: 3 tbsp
Refined oil: 10 tbsp
- Wash, soak the dal and rajma in sufficient water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook the dal and rajma in sufficient water along with salt, turmeric powder, cloves, bay leaves, cardamoms, cinnamon, 1 tbsp ginger-garlic-green chillies paste and 1 tbsp ghee.
- Pressure cook first on a high flame.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or cook till the dal is done
- Now add cream and curd to the daal
- Lightly heat the butter and refined oil in a kadai.
- . Add onions and Saute on a low flame till the onions turn pink.
- Add remaining ginger-garlic greenchillies paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add red chilli powder ,dhania powderand cumin seed powder.
- Saute on a low flame till oil separates.
- Add the tomato puree and mix well.
- Now add cooked dal to this mixture
- Cook on a low flame for 15 to 20 minutes till the masalas and the dal are well blended.Don’t forget to stir the dal inbetween as it tends to stick to the bottom of the pan
- Garnish with fresh cream or malai,butter and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with hot phulkas, steamed rice and onion rings