“Chaat” is an all time favourite for all the Indians and Masala Puri is the most popular chat in Bangalore among the people. I always used to have on street and then though of trying it. It was my first try for Masala Puri Chat at home. It dosent come as good as we get on streets. But my hubby loves this version of Chaat. So i am posting it for you all. Hope you will love it.
Dry Green Peas: 1 cup
Turmeric Powder:1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder: 2 tbsp
Onion: 1 (Large finelly chopped) cubed
Garlic: 2-3 cloves
Garam masala:1/2 tsp
Potato: 2 (small Peeled, boiled and mashed)
Chaat Masala: ½ tsp
Lemon juice: 1 tsp
1 tbsp sugar
2-3 strands Cilantro or corinder Leaves
1/2 cupThin Sev
1 Tomato, small sized (chopped finely)
Salt as per taste
Finely chopped coriander leaves
Dry Spices :
Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
Curry leaves : 3-4
Cumin seeds: 1tsp
Black Peppercorns:1/2 tsp
- Soak peas overnight and pressure cook with salt to taste. Divide it into 2 equal parts, keep one part aside and the other use it to make masla
STEP 2: Masala making:
- Dry roast all the dry species.
- COARSELY Grind the spices in a blender.
- Now add boiled and mashed potato, red chilly powder and water to the mixture. Keep it asisde.
- Mash halt of the boiled green peas with the help of masher. Add the masala that we have just prepared and mix it well. Your ground paste is ready
- Take the ground paste in a vessel and add little water to thin it slightly(do not make it too watery).
- Add salt, suga,garam masala and chat masala and cook till it starts boiling. Simmer the flame and cook it for futher 5 mintues till the gravy thickens
- Now add remeing boiled green peas to the mixture. and cook till it comes to required consistency. The gravy should not be too thick or too thin. It should be semi liquid.
- In a serving plate, take few puris and crush them.
- Spread a about 1-2 ladle full of gravy.
- On the top add chopped onion, TOMATO coriander leaves and sev.
- SPRINKLE CHAT MASALA ON THE TOP
- Serve immediately