Litti Chokha is traditional dish of Bihar and the basic ingredients in Litti is Sattu Litti is made up of Sattu (Sattu is roasted chickpea flour). Then it is boiled in water and then it is deep fried. Alternately we can bake them in a oven. Traditionally they are cooked in stove and clay.
Chokha is prepared with boiled & mashed potatoes,roasted Eggplants,Tomatoes. All three combined as with onions and other Spices.
In Bihar Litti is also served with Tangy Roasted tomato Chutney along with Chokha.
Wheat Flour (atta): 1 cup
Refined Flour (Maida): 1cup
Clarified butter (Ghee): 2 tbsp
Yoghrut: 1 cup
Baking Soda: a pinch
Carom Seeds (ajawin):
Ghee::1Cup (Melthed for Sering)
Chick Pea flour (Sattu): 1 Cup
Ginger Garlic-Green Chillies paste: 2 tsp
Mustard Oil: 1 tbsp
Archar Ka Masala: 1 tsp
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Coriander Leaves: finely chopped
Egg Plant: 1 (big ,rounded and roasted on stove)
Boiled Potatoes: 2 (Large,mashed)
Tomato:2 (small, roasted on stove)
Onion:1 (Medium finely chopped)
Green Chilies (finely chopped)
Red Chilly Powder:1/4 tsp
coriander Leaves:2-3 tbsp (finely chopped)
Tomatoes: 4 (large)
Green chilies (finely chopped)
coriander Leaves: 2 tsp
Salt: to taste
- In a bowl take all the ingredients of stuffing. Mix it well. Add /4 cup of water so that the mixture gets mist and is easy to fill. Mix well and keep it aside. Your Stuffing is Ready.
- Take both the flour in a large bowl. Add baking soda,ajwain,salt and ghee or refined oil. Mix it well.
- Add Yoghrut and knead the dough and make it a soft dough.
Note: You can add water if needed while kneading the dough.
- Cover the Dough and leave it aside for 20-30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes knead the dough again and divide them into equal portions.
- Take 1 portion and with the hep of your hand roll it to 2-3 inch bigger and add 1 tbsp of stuffing in middle of the bowl and close it from all the sides.
- Check if the stuffing is not over and coming out of ball.
- Press the ball little from top to make it flat (Optional)
- Repeat the same procedure for rest of the portions.
- Preheat the oven at 220 C.
- Put all the litties in a baking tray till one side is brown or black spots come on top of litties.
- Turn over the litties and make for some more minutes.
- Bake till litties are baked from all side.
- Take out from the oven
- Take one cup of warm Ghee in a bowl and dip all the litties in this Ghee so that all litties are well coated with Ghee.
- Take all the litties is a plate
- served with Chokha and chutney.
- Roast egg plant and tomato over low gas flame turning around till egg plant and tomatoes outer surface turns blackish and flaky, then put in cold water.
- After 5 minutes remove egg plant and Tomatoes from water and peel off its burnt skin.
- Now mash potato, tomato and egg plant in a bowl, leaving no lumps of unmashed eggplant.
- Add onion, green chilies, Coriander Leaves, Red Chilly Powder,garlic, salt and oil. Mix well
- Serve With Litties.
- Roast Tomatoes on a low gas flame and transfer tomatoes in clod water.
- Remove the skin and cut tomatoes into small pieces
- Grind roasted Tomatoes to a smooth paste and take in out in a bowl.
- Add finely chopped Tomatoes,coriander Leaves and Salt and mix Well.
- Your Chutney is ready. Serve with Litti Chokha