PURAN POLIPuran Poli-a delicacy prepared on any festive occasion in Maharashtra and Gujarat. Its one of the favorite dishes of my family. I got this recipe from my Mother... My mother prepared this dish slightly different. As it is cooked in Uttar Pradesh. In UP Puran Poli is not sweet in taste.
For the Filling:
Chana dal: 2 cups
Cardamom powder: 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
Red chilly Powder: ½ tsp
Dry Red Chilly: 1-2
Cumin Seeds: 1tsp
Asafoetida: a pinch
Salt: to taste
For the Dough:
Wheat flour: 3 cups
Oil: 2 tsp
Water: for knidding
Salt to taste
- Soak the Chana dal for 2-3 hours.
- Boil the soak Chana dal for 15-20 minutes and then mash into a soft paste.
- Heat little oil in kadhai add cumin seeds, dry red chilly, asotedia.and add the dal mixture
- Add Salt, turmeric powder, cardamon Powder red chilly powder and mix it well and cook it further for 2-3 minutes. The mixture should be like loose dough which could be spreadable.
- Cool, divide into 10-15 portions and keep aside.
- Mix refined flour, oil, water and salt. Make very soft, sticky dough. Knead very well. Use oil to knead. Divide into15 equal portions
- With greased palms, take one portion of dough and flatten it into a disc of the size of the palm.
- Place a ball of Chana paste in the centre and fold the disc from all sides to cover the paste completely.
- Flatten the dough and roll again into a 100 mm. (4") diameter circle
- Cook on a tava over a medium flame till golden brown in color on both sides.
- Apply ghee or butter on both sides and serve hot with chutney
- Repeat for the remaining dough and filling.