Last Week i came from office early and i was watching TV. I was seeing the Serial Ek dusre se karte hain Pyaar mein where a girl asked for Dabeli in a street food and was enjoying it. Suddenly that name strikes me and I just googled to Know what is Dabeli. Then i got to know that Dabeli is street food originating from Kutch in Gujrat, India. Dabeli literally means 'to be pressed' in Gujarati. So i jusr read out the recipes in google and wants to try it. I am extremally thanks to Amarendra of AMU'S RECIPES to brief in detail about the recipes.
As I have never tasted Dabeli before so I did little variation and tried my version of Dabeli. Which me as well as my Hubby really liked it as todays evening snacks.
For Dabeli Filling:
Boiled & Mashed Potatoes: 5 (small)
Tamarind & Sweet chutney: 4 tbsp
Dabeli Masala:3 tbsp
Red chilly Powder:1/2 tsp
Chaat Masala:1/4 tsp
Amoochur Powder:1/4 tsp
Asafoetida: a pinch
Oil: 2-4 tbsb
Dry Roasted Peanuts: 6-8 tbsp
Chopped Onion: 6-8 tbsp
Pomengrate seeds: 4 tbsp
Coriander Leaves(finelly chopped): 4 tbsp
For Dabeli Masala:
Dry Red Chillies: 3
Cumin Seeds: 2 tsp
Dalchini Piece(cinnamon stick):1/2"
Coriander Seeds: 2 tbsp
Methi seeds: 1/2 tsp
Method to make Dabeli Masala:
Dry roast all the ingeridents for dabeli masala for 3-4 minutes and once cooled down gring them into a fine Powder.
Burger Buns(Pav: 6)
Butter: for cooking
Green chutney: 4 tbsp
Sweet Chutney: 4 tbsp
Haldiram mixture:1/4 cup
For Dabeli filling:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add asafotedia,dabeli masala and dates & tamarind dates chutney.
- Now add mashed Potatoes and mix it well.
- Add Red Chilly Powder,Chaat Masala and amoochar Powder and mix well.
- Now add water and salt.
- Cook it for 5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Now take a small plate and spread the filling evenly on the plate. Now allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Now one by one add layers of roasted peanuts,chopped onions,pomengrate seeds,chopped coriander and haldiram mixture over it.
- Divide them into 6-7 equal parts and keep aside.
To Make Dabeli:
- Slit the Pav horizontally.
- Add sweet chutney on one side and green chutney on another side.
- Now we have to place one portion of dabeli filling between the buns.
- Now dip the sides of dabeli in sev.
- Heat tawa or griddle and add tsp of butter.
- Roast the Dabeli from bot the sides.
- Serve hot.