Misal Pav is Maharashtra's most most popular breakfast dish.. My huuby before coming to Bangalore was settled in Mumbai. He asks me many times to cook Misal Pav. I was not knowing how to prepare it. So I googled various sites to know what exactly is Misal Pav. and i came to know that it is a mixture of pulses , spicy gravy, Poha, , spoonful of dahi and garnish of onions, tomatoes, cilatro, farsan, chivada etc These things are arranged in multiple tier fashion and served. Pav/bread is also served along with misal.
The first Lever in Misal Pav is of Matki/Moth beans Usal. Usal is basically sprouted beans The Second layer os of Allo ki sabji. This we can prepare according to our taste and requirements.
The 3rd layer is of Poha followed by curry over it and lastly garnish it with Farshan, onion tomato ,coriander leaves,curd and again curry.
But what I have done as I am lazy person I didn’t prepare allo sabji separately.But I added boiled potatoes in my gravy only. This gravy should not be very thick.This was my mistake. My huuby told me this your gravy is thick. It should be semi liquid.
Next time I will rectify my this mistake and will make it once again.
For Curry / Cut/ Turry
Boiled Potatoes: 2
Onions: 2 (Medium, Sliced)
Cloves of Garlic: 2
Cinnamon stick:1/2 inch
Tomato: 1 (Medium finely chopped)
Curry Leaves: 3-4
Cumin seeds:1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp.
Chat Masala:1/2 tsp.
Kitchen King: a pinch
Green chillies: 2
Salt to taste
Method for making curry:
- Dry roast black peppercons , cloves,cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon and Grind them coarsely not in a blender. Mix ½ tsp of oil and 1 tsp of water. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped green chillies and garlic together
- Add mixture that we have just prepared and Saute till nice aroma from the spices come out. After that add grated onions onion and fry till it gets brown color
- Now add chopped tomatoes and fry till oil starts loosing out from the spices
- Add potatoes , turmeric powder, chat Masala and a pinch ok kitchen king and mixed it well. Cover it with lid and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add water and salt and bring it to boil. Curry is ready now
Ingredients for : Matakichi usal
Sprouted moong dal (green gram): 1 cup
Onion finely chopped: 1 (Big finely chopped)
Tomatoes: 1 (Small, finely chopped)
Peanuts 2 tsp.
Red Chilli Powder: 1 tsp.
Garam Masala: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Pinch of Asafoetida
Curry Leaves: 4-5Salt to taste
Oil: 2 tbsp
Direction for : Matakichi usal
· Boil the sprouted mataki Pressure Cooker for atlest 2-3 Whistles.
· First fry the peanuts in a oil till it gets light brown colour. Remove the peanuts from the pan. In the same oil add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and pinch of asafoetida.
· Then add curry leaves and onions. Saute the onions till it gets light brown colour.
· Now add tomatoes . Fry on low flame for a couple of minutes
· Now add Turmeric powder Garam masala and red chilli powder and saute till oil starts loosing out from the spices.
· Add boiled mataki and mix it well. And cook or about 5 minutes
· Sprinkle salt according to taste. Add sugar and corriandar leaves.
· Now add fried peanuts. Mataki is ready to serve now.
Ingredients for poha
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
pinch of hing;1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder:1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves: 5-6
Thin Poha: ½ cup
- Wash pohe and keep aside.
- Heat oil. Add curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds. After they start spluttering add hing, turmeric powder, green chillies.
Ingredients For Garnishing
Farsan / Hot mix
Onion finely chopped
Tomato finely chopped
Chilly Powder:1/2 tsp
Chat Masala:1/2 tsp
- We have prepared all the ingredients for Misal Pav. . It is time to arrange it in tiered manner.
- Now Add Poha over the top of Usual.
Pour in the rassa or gravy generaously over the top of poha.
Over the Misal add Chopped Onion, Green Chilies, Sprinkle Chili Powder, Chaat Masala, and Lemon Juice over. Add Curds over it and sprinkle some salt Over the top add Farsan, and bhujiya. Serve Immediately with Vada or Bread