CHILLAIngredients: Semolina (Rawa / Sooji): 2 cups White Flour : 1 cup Maida- ½ cup Butter Milk: 2 cups Salt to taste For seasoning: Mustard seeds- ¼ tsp Onion (chopped): 1 Green chilies (chopped):2 Crushed Black Pepper- ½ tsp Curry Leaves (chopped) : 8-10 Asafoetida (Hing) : A pinch Ginger- a small piece chopped finely Sodium-bi-carbonate : ¼ tbsp (optional) Salt to taste Oil: 4-5 tbsp Method:
- Mix semolina, rice flour, Maida. Sodium bi- carbonate and salt in a vessel. Add buttermilk to the above and make a batter of medium consistency
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, when it splutters add asafoetida, crushed black pepper, onions, green chillies, Curry Leaves, ginger and a pinch of salt.
- Saute it for 2 minutes till the onion turns transparent. Add this to the batter.
- Leave the batter aside for at least 1 hour.
- Grease a non-stick tawa with oil. Pour a large spoon of batter over it. Spread the batter by swirling the griddle. (just like you do for the dosa)
- Pour 1 tbsp of oil on and around it.
- When it becomes golden brown turn it over. And cook for 2 minutes from another side.Your chilla is ready. Serve it with potato Curry or any chutney