BISI BALE BATHIngredients: Rice – 1½ Cups Toor Dal – ¾ cups Onion - 1 Cup (chopped finely) Potato - 1 Cup (cut into small pieces) Carrot (Cut into 2") - 1 Cup Tomatoes(Large) – 1 (finely chopped) Tamarind Juice - 1/4 Cup Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp Salt As Required Oil- 4 Tbsp Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp Note: You can also use any vegetable of your choice. For Masala: Chana dhal - 1/4 cup Urad dal: 2 tablespoon Coriander seeds - 1 tsp Fenugreek - 1tsp Cumin seeds: 1 tsp Cinnamon - 1" Cloves - 4 Cardamom: 5 Dry red chilli – 3 Grated coconut: 3Tsp To temper: Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp Red chillies - 3 Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp Curry leaves - 3 sprigs For Garnishng: Cashewnut:6-7 Corinader leaves: 1/2 cup Ghee: 3 table spoon Method:
This post of mine is first time Offically Entry is for the Indian cooking challenge by Nitya of Simply Food. for Flavours of South India ~ Event
Bisi bele bhath is a rice-based dish with its origins in the state of Karnataka The traditional preparation of this dish is quite elaborate and involves the use of spicy masala ,toor dal (a type of lentil) and vegetables. Spices like nutmeg and asfoetids,curryLeaves and tamarind pulp used in its preparation contribute to the unique flavour and taste of this dish. It is served hot and sometimes eaten along with salad,papad or potato chips. This dish is commonly found in restaurants that serve the Udupi cuisine
- Dry roast the masala ingredients and grind it to coarse powder. Mix them with coconut, turmeric powder, and water to form a smooth paste. Keep this masala aside.
- Cook Toor dal with turmeric powder & salt and keep it aside.
- Cook rice. Keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add mustard seed, cumin seeds, red chillies and curry leaves to it.
- When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the sliced onions and fry till the onion changes its color.
- Add, carrot and potato, and fry for sometime
- Add tomato, 1 tsp of masala powder. Mix well and cook till the vegetables are cooked
- Add tamarind juice, salt and red chilli powder.
- Add some water and allow it to boil for sometime.
- Now add the Toor dal, masala and salt to the boiling water. Mix it well so that no lumps are found.
- Add cooked rice. Mix well
- Cook it on a low flame for about 5 minutes.
- Garish with corinder leaves ,ghee and cashewnut.
- Serve hot enjoy the delicious dish.