I have learnt this recipes from my mom.It is a traditional recipes from Uttaar Pradesh.In the original recipes urad dal is used.But I have substituted the urad dal with green moong and rest is the same.
MOONG DAL KI GOLI
For the balls:
Moong dal with skin: 1&1/2 cup
Refined oil: 2 tsp
Chopped Ginger: 1tsp
Chopped Garlic : 1tsp
Cinnamon sticks: 1"inch
Black pepper: ½ tsp
Red chilli powder ½ tsp
Small finely chopped onion:1
Salt to taste
For the masala:
Tomato – 1 diced
Onion – 2 diced
Cumin seeds: 1tsp
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
Red chilli powder: 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder: 1/4 tsp
Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
Garlic - 1/2 tsp (finely chopped )
Ginger - 1/2 tsp (finely chopped)
Green Chilly – 2 chopped
Bread crumbs: 1 cup
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves – chopped finely
- Soak the dal in water for 3-4 hours.
- Grind the dal into a smooth batter with the ginger-garlic , salt to taste, red chilli powder, cloves, cinnamon sticks cardamom. Black pepper and a little amount of water
- Heat one tbsp of oil in a pan and add the dal batter and keep stirring for a few mins till it thickens slightly.Now onion, chopped. Stir again till it becomes a sticky mixture.
- Once the mixture is cool enough, roll small amounts of it into medium sized balls.
- Roll these balls over bread crumbs and shallow fry it on a medium flame. Keep the balls aside.
- To prepare the masala, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the onion, tomato, green chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Sprinkle the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin Powder, coriander Powder and sauté for 2-3 mins. Then add the coriander leaves, and a 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Once the gravy thickens, gently place the moong dal balls in the masala and cook for a 5-7 mins.
- Mix well, Garnish with coriander Powder and serve hot.