Gujiya is a famous sweet dish from North India. It is generally prepared on the occasion of Holi, chatt (in Bihar & Jharkhand) and in TIJ.
Ingredients: For the Cover: Maida: 500 Gms Ghee: 7-8 tbsp Warm Water: for knidding the dough For the filling: Khoya: 300 Gms Sugar Powder: 350 Gms Sooji: 1/3 cup Raisins (Kismis): -6-7 Almonds: 7-8 (cut into thin strips) Cardamom Powder: 3-4 tsp Jaifal Powder: ½ tsp
Oil or ghee: for deep frying
- Mash the Khoya and fry it in a kadhai / deep pan till light brown in color.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder into the Khoya and mix well.
- Add almonds, cashews, coconut raisins and jaifal powder.
- Fry for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Allow it to cool.
- The mixture will look like:
- Mix the six tablespoons of ghee with the Maida.
- Using fingers, mix well so that the mixture takes the form of breadcrumbs and binds to a certain extent.
- Mix it well and kept it aside for half-an-hour
- Now add some water and knead lightly.
- Keep adding water as required and knead into soft but tight dough.
- Set aside and cover with a damp cloth for about 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll each ball into a small round of 4 inch diameter.
- Fill half the round with the Khoya mixture, fold it and seal the round, twisting the edges inwards. Alternatively, Gujiya moulds can also be used are easily available in any Indian store or market.
- If you are using the mould then place the rolled dough ball in a greased Gujiya mould and fill a tbl.sps of filling mixture on one side.
- Moisten the edges of the round and fold one side of the mould over the other.
- Remove the excess edges and reuse. Take care that the filling does not comes out.
- Prepare all the Gujiya and spread on a cloth.
- The mould looks like this:
- Heat ghee in a kadhai and deep fry the Gujiya in batches on a medium flame.
- When golden brown in color, drain and remove.
- Store for use in an airtight glass jar.